Provide Civil Engineering discipline support to the Engineering Departments for the design and construction of various roads, utilities and infrastructure projects with an emphasis on the design of roads, streets, utilities, grading, drainage, potable water, sanitary sewers, reclaimed water, irrigation utilities. Resolve conflicts with utilities and grading and drainage design issues. Perform Civil Engineering reviews of improvement plans, contract specifications, construction estimates and engineering studies. Involvement in conceptual civil engineering design, master planning of utilities, street and highway design, pump station and culvert design, writing memorandums to management, and coordination of existing and new infrastructure.
Major Activities Performed
• Technical Review of improvement plans, technical specifications, construction estimates, design calculations for compliance with approved design criteria and good civil engineering practice with emphasis on roads and utilities projects.
• Provide support for the Construction Department in answering and resolving technical design issues, clarification and interpretation of the design drawings and coordination with other sections.
• Provide technical advice and guidance to Management on all aspects of Civil Engineering and needed improvements or design changes.
• Prepare written memorandums, technical reports and correspondence on Civil Engineering issues. Prepare and give engineering presentations on Civil Engineering issues.
• Prepare conceptual utility and site designs, layouts and coordinate with other engineering sections, prepare alternative solutions to issues and problems.
• Preparation and review of cost estimates and material quantities.
• Review A/E Contractor’s design submittals, specifications, technical reports, and calculations submittals.
• Perform field inspections and provide field support during construction.
• Review vendor/shop drawings and construction material submittals.
• Assist in the preparation of Utility (Sewer, Water, Storm drain) master planning in the creation of capital improvement projects and verifying capacity of the existing utility systems and establishing new.
• Provide technical assistance during pre-bid conferences, consultant and contractor selection, design proposals and construction bid evaluations, and coordination during construction bidding.
Experience and Qualifications
• A Degree in Civil Engineering from a Western recognized university with a minimum of 15 years postgraduate professional experience in roads and utilities design projects, storm water management, water and wastewater distribution network and paving plans for urban and rural roads.
• Experience in preparing and modeling site grading, setting up horizontal and vertical geometry of roads, corridor modeling, generating profiles and cross sections, and calculation of earth volumes.
• Experience in implementing road safety measures, pavement design, and signing and pavement marking.
• Previous experience of working in the Middle East and knowledge of Saudi roads and utility design codes and regulations will be considered an advantage.
• Registration in Country of Origin in an Engineering Professional Association equivalent to US PE or UK Chartered Engineer status is essential.
• The ability to communicate effectively in spoken and written English is essential.
• Has knowledge and experience of good civil design practices, common international design standards and codes in the design of sewer, water, drainage utilities, roads, earthwork, grading, drainage, site design, has knowledge of ASHTO street and highway design, and fundamental surveying practices.
• Specific technical requirements are:
1. Experience in site development, design of roads and utilities for large residential, industrial and commercial areas.
2. Experience with potable/fire water, sanitary sewer and wastewater collection and handling systems.
3. Must have 10 years’ experience in the design of streets and highways, residential subdivisions, industrial business parks, commercial and retail centers. Design should include the design of sewer, water and drainage utilities.
4. Knowledge of AutoCAD, Civil 3D, Water and sewer and drainage calculations and modeling systems, mass grading, earth work modeling and ASHTO Highway design manual.
• Experience working for/with local municipalities in the design and coordination of infrastructure improvements.
Parsons is a leader in many diverse markets such as infrastructure, transportation, water, telecommunications, aviation, commercial, environmental, planning, industrial manufacturing, education, healthcare, life sciences and homeland security.
Parsons provides technical and management solutions to federal, regional and local government agencies as well as private industries worldwide.